June 9 was National Forklift Safety Day. We were so excited when our friends at Toyota Equipment brought this day to our attention. We use forklifts at Davies Molding every day and being safe when operating them is important to us.
We decided to do something educational and fun for National Forklift Safety Day 2015. We had a forklift operator talk about key features on the forklift and go over safety points. We also handed out a forklift safety quiz that many of our employees got all answers correct. To top it all off, we had donuts for the group to enjoy. It was a fun and educational event!
Forklift Fun Facts
- While the Tructractor doesn't fit the true definition of the forklift, it paved the way for the future by introducing a new way to move materials around a plant
- The first prototype of the modern forklift was invented by Yale Materials Handling Corporation in 1923
- The counterbalanced forklift is the most common type of forklift used for all types of lifting operations
- Skilled forklift operators annually compete in obstacle and timed challenges at regional forklift rodeos
- When traveling forward on a forklift and turning the steering wheel, the speed of the rear end swing will be 3 times the forward speed of the forklift